Vacation and Holiday FAQ

Q: When will I receive my vacation payout?

A: There are two distributions in a calendar year: June 1 and December 1. The June 1 distribution includes contributions received on your behalf for the months of September through February. The December 1 distribution includes contributions received on your behalf for the months of March through August.
Q: What do I have to do to receive my payment?

A: Applications will be mailed out to participants approximately one month prior to the payout. To receive a payment, the application needs to be completed and returned to the Trust Fund office for further processing.
Q: How can I find out how much I will receive?

A: The application will specify the amount of distribution that will be payable to you.
Q: Can I get my balance from the Trust Fund Office at any time?

A: For your security and protection, we are unable to disclose trust fund balances over the phone. We can, however, mail the balance printouts to the address we have on file, or you may view balance on this website.
Q: If I missed the distribution date, will I still be able to apply for my Vacation & Holiday Fund?

A: Yes. You could always submit your application after the payout, and your application will be processed as soon as administratively possible.
Q: How could I ensure that my employer is contributing the right amount into my fund?

A: Although the auditors from the Trust Fund office audit the reports and contributions submitted by the employers on a regular basis, it is always recommended that you check your V&H Fund balance regularly against your pay stubs.
Q: What should I do if the amount that I received is different from what my pay stubs show?

A: Forward a copy of your pay stubs to the Trust Fund office and our auditors will perform a pay stub audit. The employers will be billed for any missing hours and the corresponding contributions. However, please keep in mind that the difference in hours may be due to the fact that some employers report from the 1st through the 31st of the month, some by week endings, and others by pay periods.
Q: How will I receive the missing contributions from my employer?

A: Late contributions received for the current or prior distribution period will be distributed as supplemental payments.
Q: Can my funds be garnished by other entities?

A: Yes, the usual levies and garnishments that we receive are from the IRS for unpaid taxes and the Child Support Enforcement Agency for back child support. A processing fee will be charged for each transaction. However, the funds are not released until the June 1 and December 1 distribution dates.
Q: Why haven't I received a Vacation & Holiday Fund application?

A: We may not have your current address on file when the applications are printed. Be sure to immediately update the trust fund office with any changes to your address.
Q: Would I be able to withdraw my money early for emergencies?

A: Yes. However, the plan only allows a hardship withdrawal if justified by reason on natural disaster, the employee-beneficiary's death or total disability, the actual or threatened foreclosure of a mortgage on the employee's principal residence, or other comparable circumstances. You would need to submit the following to the trust fund office:
  1. Letter to the Board of Trustees requesting for an early release of your funds with the reason why and the amount needed.
  2. A signed letter by the requestor acknowledging that if the request is approved, no interest, if any, will be paid on the amount withdrawn early. This letter is provided by the trust fund office.
  3. Notarized affidavit by the requestor attesting that the documentation provided for the request is true. You may either request a blank affidavit from the trust fund office and go to a notary public on your own, or come to the trust fund office as we have a notary public that can notarize your affidavit as long as you provide a valid picture ID.
  4. Documentation of the type of hardship such as a death certificate of your immediate family member, eviction letter and rental agreement, foreclosure notice, medical bills, etc.
  5. If you are requesting the funds to pay for your rent to avoid eviction, your landlord will need to provide a notarized affidavit as well attesting that the eviction letter they are providing is true.
Once all of the required documentation is complete and has been submitted to the trust fund office, we will forward your request to the Board of trustees for their review. If your request has been approved, the check will be disbursed in a joint check form (i.e. to your mortgage company, landlord, hospital, etc.).
200 N. Vineyard Blvd, Bldg A, Suite 100
Honolulu,HI 96817
Telephone: (808) 841-7575
Fax: (808) 841-2900
Neighbor Islands: (800) 634-8608
© 2006 HBAI